Thursday, April 5, 2007

DAY TWO OF THE SOUL OF LEBANON

Back to Yester-year


Instead of my usual “Freaky, Deaky, Friday, I have decided to carry on with yesterdays theme on Lebanon and my visit there as a 16 year old. It probably has to do with my waxing nostalgic lately, looking back to fun an interesting moments of my past (this kind of stuff happens when one reaches their “golden” years).

Before I go back to yester-year and my first seeing and hearing the woman with the golden voice, Fairouz, I have first posted a video message concerning the persecution and extermination of the Iraqi Christians. I urge you all to view the message as I believe that it is of great importance, especially at this most Holy Pascha season.

These beautiful people are children of God and their plight needs to be made known. We should not turn our backs on them.

The (Ignored) Extermination of Iraqi Christians






Lebanese Dabke

The following short video shows the dance called the “Dabke”. It is a folk dance which is done at all parties and celebrations throughout the Middle East. However, each country has its own distinctive variation of the Dabke. When I was younger, in better health but of dubious mind, I would dance the Dabke with the best of them. I hope you enjoy this.




Fairouz at Baalbek

In yesterday’s posting, I mentioned the city of Baalbek and its ancient Roman ruins. I told how they would hold the International Music Festival there at night and how everything was lit up with colored lights. This is where I first saw and heard Fairouz “The Soul of Lebanon”. The following video is of Fairouz performing at the ruins of the Temple of Jupiter in Baalbek. This particular performance took place approximately 3 years after my visit there. This will give you a bit of an idea of the beauty of Baalbek.


In this video, you will see a male singer with a mustache (he is slightly heavy set). This man is also a well known and iconic sing star throughout the Middle East. His name is Wadi al Safi. He and Fairouz have often performed together and they have many records singing together.




“Abouna” Gregori